Monday 29 August 2011

Thing 11: Mentoring

I don't really have any experience of mentoring. Most of the library people I've met were on my course, and while everyone was at different stages of their career, we were all working towards the same qualification, learning the same things. The support on the course was amazing, but felt more like peer support, as opposed to mentoring.

The closest I ever got to having a mentor was probably when I did my work placement at Whitworth Art Gallery. The librarian there is a retired public librarian who volunteers at the Whitworth once a week. We talked a fair bit about government policy impacting libraries, the way computers are changing everything and the various issues surrounding different types of libraries. It was interesting to learn about how things go in cycles; how back in the late '70s there were threats to libraries too, challenges that were overcome. And things will get better again, then worse, then better. That's just the way it goes.

I like the idea of having a mentor, but it always seemed a somewhat mysterious process to me. I always thought it happened organically; you met someone who you got along with, who gave you advice, and the mentoring thing developed, like a friendship, but with one person knowing more stuff. This always seemed fairly difficult to me, a social puzzle I didn't understand. I didn't know you could ask for a mentor. Now it all makes sense!

I would like a mentor, I think. I am a new librarian, I am starting my first professional post a week today and I am nervous! Having someone to talk to about professional stuff would be a good thing. Also, I make a good cup of tea. This, I find, always helps with everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment