Wednesday 17 August 2011

Thing 10: Graduate traineeships, Masters Degrees, Chartership, Accreditation

I am not sure, yet, whether to call myself a "librarian", as opposed to a "library student". I have finished the taught part of my MA, the part which comprised the PGdip; I could stop writing my dissertation now and still be qualified to apply for professional posts. So in a sense I'd be perfectly entitled to. But. But. There is a but. It feels strange calling myself a librarian. It feels new. I feel like I don't know enough yet. I feel too clueless.



Perhaps I will feel different in six months, a year, two years, when I have worked in a professional post, learned more things, really seen where I can take this. I am optimistic. I really want to become a real librarian!

Why did I want to become a librarian in the first place? I won't say I had epiphany, because it wasn't as grand as that. I finished my undergraduate course in 2007 and spent three years drifting around temp jobs trying to figure things out. I was unemployed for six months, which was awful. My Sociology degree couldn't help me then, and when it could help me, it could only get me Reception and entry-level admin jobs. Which was fine for a clueless 23 year-old, but not really what I wanted to do in the long-term.

I think I was having something of an existential crisis.

I spoke to people who know lots more about life by virtue of having lived it for longer than I, and they all told me not to wait for an epiphany: just pick something you're interested in and do your best. So I flirted with a few ideas. Nursing. Too squeamish. Occupational Therapy. Realised I wasn't even sure what it was. Teaching. Just not sure. Research. I actually worked in research for a bit as a temp and, for some reason, didn't apply for the permanent role that came up. And there weren't many other jobs I was qualified for.

I tried to think of the things that linked together my temp jobs, and realised I'd done a lot of archiving. And I knew I wanted at least two things out of any job: 1) That I was, in some way, helping people, 2) That I'd be playing to my strengths, but that there would be room to challenge myself. I also knew I had always loved libraries, and information, and words, and I knew I was really, really interested education, and I truly believed (and still do) that knowledge is empowering. I applied for the MA and got in. I found something I was interested in.

I moved to Manchester for the MA at MMU, which wasn't too big a change as I'm from Stockport originally and have quite a few friends here. I really enjoyed the MA, it felt good to be a student again, and everyone on the course was really nice. It's a hectic course, but because you're so busy all the time, by the time you realise you're stressed, it's Easter.

I'm currently in the midst of my dissertation, which is due in on the 30th September. 18, 000 words and a vast expanse of time seems scary, but breaking it into sections helps a lot.

I am now really excited about getting out and using all that I've learned, although slightly apprehensive about finding a job. I am keen to stay in Manchester as I've ended up moving house for the last 7 years in a row, and I'd really like to settle in one place! Plus I love Manchester and fear London. I will move if I can't find anything, but for now I'm going to carry on filling in job applications for every single job I can find in the NW area. Ideally, I'd love to work in education, as it's something I'd say I'm passionate about, and I did an Online Learning module on the MA and found it really interesting. I'd also really like to look into chartership eventually. But we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment