Thursday 7 July 2011

Thing 2: Investigate some other blogs

My day of catch-up continues!

I enjoyed this activity, although felt slightly tongue-tied/strange when leaving comments, especially with people I don't actually know. Internet etiquette is still confusing to me, I am always somewhat worried I will end up seeming like this guy.

Also, I fell out with Blogspot for a while when it deleted all the blogs I had so carefully listed using its "Blog List" feature, meaning I had to go through them all again.

I started off by looking at Lauren Smith's 23 things blog because I know her in real life, as well as the fact that she does so much awesome library stuff and knows lots of people. Looking through the links on Lauren's blog then led me to some other blogs by people I recognised from Twitter, and then I left some more comments.

Due to the fact I'm not actually working at the moment, I wasn't 100% sure where to focus my attention in terms of sector. I do have dreams of my "ideal" job (or even jobs I'd really quite like to do) but I don't want to focus things too heavily in one area at a time when jobs generally are quite difficult to find. Basically, I'm trying to be open-minded about where I am going to end up working. With this in mind, I've tried read quite a broad range of blogs. This was also useful in terms of finding out more about different sectors and giving me perspectives on areas I may not have considered.

It has also been interesting to pick up on some of the broader debates going on in the information profession at the moment. Sometimes it can be hard to keep up with everything, so blogs are a useful way of gathering information into one place. Reading some of the cpd23 blogs has made it easier to make sense of LIS-related information which previously seemed completely overwhelming.

It's really interesting to see how differently people have interpreted the tasks. For example, I really enjoyed Helen Murphy's take on the "branding" task.

I am hoping to build up the list of blogs I read gradually. Due to the fact I'm a latecomer, I've been trying to catch up on blogs from Thing 1, so it's probably a bit more time consuming than if I had started this on time. I could have just started from this week I suppose, but I really want to complete all the tasks. 23 is a nice number.

No comments:

Post a Comment