Thursday 7 July 2011

Thing 1

I'm a bit late starting these 23 things, but I decided this morning that I'd give it a go. I'm currently in the middle of collecting data for my Library and Information Management MA dissertation, so have been somewhat distracted and hadn't really engaged with what "cpd23" actually meant, despite seeing it pop up on my twitter feed almost daily. Today I actually decided to find out what it is all about, and I thought it might be a good idea to participate for three major reasons, two of which may or may not be sort of the same reason, worded differently:

1) I think that this summer it would be a good idea to focus on developing some sort of skills and experience outside of my dissertation research. Also, I need the odd break from my research. I feel this is good for the health.

2) I am a new professional (almost) and this is a tough time, not only for libraries, but for everyone. Doing these 23 things seems like it could help.

3) I don't know that many other professionals who aren't on my course. I follow a few people on twitter, but it's hard to know how to open dialogue. I am hoping doing this will help me get to know like-minded people.

I have kept blogs before, but this is the first in a professional capacity. So I hope I do okay!

Out of the 23 things, I am most looking forward to the presenting information week as this is something I have little experience of. I think that this will be especially useful. Oh, and I enjoyed making this blog!

I am least looking forward to considering my personal brand - the word "brand" makes me feel slightly uneasy due to its commercial connotations. Nevertheless, I think it will be an interesting one to consider in more depth.

2 comments:

  1. Hello!

    Thanks for the comment on my blog - just thought I would say hello and well done on getting started on the cpd23 things. I'm also from Manchester and finished the library course at mmu last year - so hopefully will see you around sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    Thanks for your comment. Are you working in Manchester now then? I am currently looking for jobs in September - quite scary!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete